Drive Meaningful Engagement with These Four Email Marketing Campaigns
Email is a powerful marketing tool. It’s not about composing one perfect email that makes all the difference – it’s a matter of strategy. This means creating a coordinated, automated series of targeted email messages that are all tied to a specific goal. There are several different types of email campaigns you can use to grow your brand. Let’s take a look at how you can make them work for you!
The Main Benefits of Email Marketing
First, let’s cover the basics. Here’s why each type of email campaign offers so much value.
- Email Marketing statistically tends to deliver a high ROI. On average, email generates $38 for every dollar spent, according to Hubspot.
- It’s cheap! Creating email campaigns is an efficient marketing tactic for any budget. That’s due to the short time and low cost it takes to create a campaign. Streamlining or using automation tools helps save time.
- They improve customer retention rates by maintaining consistent (but not overwhelming) engagement with your contacts.
- You can easily promote new products and services.
- Email marketing supplies valuable data to learn more about what keeps your customers and readers attracted, engaged, and delighted with your brand.
Email marketing is one of the strongest and simplest ways to grow your business. So why is the average open rate for a marketing email only about 2%? Even outside of marketing content, people on average only open 25% of the emails they receive every day.
How can your email marketing efforts get inside that 25%?
You need to stand out to your prospects and customers. That happens with thoughtful, well-executed email campaigns. Here are some of the most effective types of email campaigns out there, along with the pros and cons of each approach.
Types of Email Campaigns: 4 Kinds to Create Meaningful Engagement
Customer Acquisition Email Campaigns
Acquisition emails can assist your business in converting prospects. They’re designed to acquire customers who have opted to receive your emails but haven’t converted into customers just yet.
According to Hubspot, “…when it comes to customer acquisition, email is 40x more effective than Facebook and Twitter combined.” Welcome emails, for instance, are a great way to nurture your leads into reaching the buying stage of their journey.
- Pros: These campaigns generally have higher open rates and click-through rates. These will help boost your metrics.
- Cons: These emails can sometimes be the first communication between you and a prospect. Bad first impressions can ruin your chances of closing a deal. Be sure to form a lasting relationship by providing a positive experience.
Email Newsletter Campaigns
Newsletters are an effective email marketing tool for educating your customers, and prospects, about what’s going on with your business. You can use them to showcase your business’s greatest assets. Those assets include employee profiles, achievements, or company passion projects. You can also provide your subscribers with company news and upcoming events, product announcements, and feedback requests.
Newsletter campaigns market to prospects and nurture existing customers! Ongoing newsletters help your business retain happy customers while collecting valuable data, offering unique insights into your customers’ needs.
Be sure to use a CRM (customer relationship software) tool, such as Hubspot’s, to sequence emails and track metrics. With the right tools and an engaging newsletter, this is one of the most effective ways to grow your business.
- Pros: They boost brand awareness and can repurpose previous content to keep it relevant. Also, email newsletters give you the freedom to share diverse content that’s important to your organization, and more importantly, to your subscribers.
- Cons: Newsletters can dilute your CTA’s (call-to-action) if you’re overwhelming their inbox with multiple CTA’s at once. Stick with the most important information. Also, be sure to design the layout of your newsletters to work for both desktop and mobile viewing.
Lead Nurturing Email Campaigns
Lead nurturing campaigns are about understanding the timing and specific needs of your leads. It’s a great example of why buyer personas are so important to digital marketing. These promotional emails are one of the best ways to encourage your target audience to take action.
They can be designed to promote any of your relevant content offers, including your blog posts, white papers, special offers, discounted service offerings, social media channels, and more. When you understand what the goal of your lead nurture campaign is, you can then send emails that nurture your lead throughout the buying process from awareness to decision.
- Pros: Lead Nurturing campaigns are timely, automated, and targeted. From a marketing perspective, that’s about as good as it gets!
- Cons: These campaigns may not generate as much consistent buzz, or see a huge spike in your website traffic. They generally have more of a trickle effect leading to a decision one way or the other. Don’t write them off, but make sure they’re a part of a diverse email campaign strategy.
Transactional Email Campaigns
This type of email campaign is also known as CTA-triggered emails. That’s because the emails are triggered by specific actions taken by your subscribers. They provide subscribers with options to follow up or move forward with that action.
For example, let’s say you sign up for a webinar or consultation (the action). You’ll have to fill out a form with your email address to receive the login or contact information. That action triggers the response you receive. Transactional emails are also the messages you receive when you complete a purchase. They’re the order confirmations that provide you with shipment information and other details about your purchase.
- Pros: Transactional emails have very high CTRs (click-through rates). This is because your subscribers anticipate the emails to complete the action they’ve taken. If they want to track their order, they have to open and click on the confirmation email.
- Cons: If the email is unclear, bloated, or overwhelming, this creates an obstacle for your contacts. Be sure to keep it simple and informative so you don’t discourage your contacts from completing the desired action.
Grow Your Business by Keeping Your Email Campaigns Human
There are so many types of email campaigns you can use to drive meaningful engagement, but each comes with its own techniques and best practices. Creating the right email marketing campaign can seem like a daunting task. But it doesn’t have to be!
If you want to develop an effective email campaign strategy, you need to first understand your buyer persona(s). Anticipate the questions they’ll have at each stage of their buyer’s journey. Once you have a strong, specific sense of who you’re trying to reach, you can develop email content that’s informative, helpful, and valuable to your subscribers. The metrics from your CRM software will also go a long way!
In order to achieve all of your marketing goals, there’s one rule to always keep in mind: treat your subscribers like human beings. Every subject line, lead magnet, and autoresponder should reflect this principle.
If you’re unsure how to create an effective email marketing campaign on your own, we’re more than happy to help you get there! We know all about how to make marketing a little more human.